Saturday, 4 June 2011

33. Sloane Square


Sloane Square is on both the District (Green) Line and Circle (Yellow) Line. Sloane Square is the bang slap right in the middle of the fashionably expensive area of Chelsea ... I remember years ago Sloane Rangers were the set of incredibly wealthy young ladies that Princess Di belonged to.


As I walked down towards my destination today I passed the Royal Hospital which is home to the Chelsea Pensioners. I did see a couple of them wandering around in full uniform (it was pretty hot out there today by the way!) and I always feel it a bit intrusive to take photographs of them so you'll have to settle for the statue.


So here is where I was headed ...


... and I was visiting the museum today because someone I know has an Exhibition on there. Matt Cook belongs to the same Orienteering Club as me - he is a very affable, unassuming man with a slightly off-the-wall sense of humour. The Exhibition was his hitherto unseen work from a couple of trips to Helmand province in Afghanistan. I have to say that I was totally overwhelmed by his talent and would urge anyone reading this who is able to, to get over to the Museum before the 26th June! It is well worth the visit - and the rest of the museum is quite interesting too.

1 comment:

  1. Matt's work is very impressive - glad you had a good time. I expect the Chelsea Pensioners are used to having their photos taken, especially around the time of the Flower show, but I see what you mean, I always feel a bit shy of taking photos with people in, in case they find it intrusive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing an interest - please feel free to comment on my unofficial tour of the tube stations