Sunday, 17 April 2011

25. Tower Hill


Tower Hill is on the District (Green Line) and Circle (Yellow Line) Line. As you exit the station this is the sight that greets you - the infamous Tower of London. On any other day this would have been reason enough to visit; a walk through the grounds were so many famous people have been incarcerated, tortured (oh yes they still have the rooms - and as far as I can remember a rack or two!)and then executed.


But that was not a good enough reason for todays visit - today I visited Tower Hill to stand and watch the London Marathon. For my vantage point I got to see all the runners at the 12.5 mile mark heading out on the Docklands loop, and then see them whizzing past on the opposite side of the road at the 22 mile mark.


I went in early in order to have a good spot, see how close I am to those runners? I really wanted to watch Jo Pavey run her first marathon ... here she is at the grand old age of 37 heading out - she finished in 2 hours 38 minutes!


The fastest female athlete came hurtling past us, almost a minute clear of the second runner on her way to the finish line; I watched the elite male runners, Mutai was just about to make his break and gallop off to a new course record. The top club runners racing through - and a man running on blades. He was amazing! I have to admit I left before the big crowds came through, London is bad enough in the rush hour - Sunday crowds, with buggies and dogs are a much worse!

2 comments:

  1. Good one this! All the better because I don't know Tower Hill Station. Thanks for filling a gap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view from the observation deck is great - and its not far from the financial district at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing an interest - please feel free to comment on my unofficial tour of the tube stations