Saturday, 9 October 2010

9. Charing Cross


Charing Cross Station is where the Northern Line (black line) and the Bakerloo Line (brown line) intersect, it is also a main line station serving the South East.

Before today's high adventure I decided to ask my daughter (who worked as a tour guide for two years in London) what to look out for - wow there was no stopping the girl! So the next piece of information comes directly from her (Kiera Healy)


Charing Cross has a big cross outside, it is a replica of one of the Eleanor Crosses erected by the grieving Edward I for his late wife Eleanor of Castile. The one there at the moment is a Victorian replica. It used to stand in front of Trafalgar Square, at the Charing Cross roundabout, at a spot now marked by an equestrian statue of Charles I - this spot is the geographical centre of London from which all distances are measured.


Look out for the statue of Charles I, he was a midget so in the statue his horse has a very small head to make him look taller!!!
I thought it odd that we have chosen to honour Charles I in this way - he is after all the monarch who was overthrown and beheaded in the Civil War, by that ghastly killjoy Cromwell. Surely his son Charles II would be more appropriate?


Anyway the purpose of today's trip was to visit Trafalgar Square - named after the famous Battle of Trafalgar, where a great national hero was slain (Admiral Lord Nelson), but at least we won that one! - because an "Amazing African Festival" was being held there today. To be honest it was a bit of a disappointment but the bands were colourful and lively,


the food poor,


and the weather typical!

Still it got me out and about, and I took a photo of this famous memorial to Edith Cavell (1865-1915) at the junction of St Martin's Lane and Charing Cross Road. 'Patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness for anyone' Edith Cavell was a British World War I nurse who helped hundred's of Allied soldiers escape from German occupied Belgium. She was captured and executed, by firing squad, by the Germans.

6 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to your Tube Bagging Blog, very interesting, thank you Kiera. Will now find your other entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shes a mine of useful information about London!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "this spot is the geographical centre of London from which all distances are measured" - who knew?
    Apart from Kiera, obviously.

    Ah, Trafalgar Square, the starting point for our anti-seal hunting demo all those years ago. And pigeon hell for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pigeon free now Tess - you've got angry Red Ken to thank for that!

    Kiera is a fountain of facts about London - this is a great one for pub quizzes don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed a couple but glad I caught up, very interesting :) I am learning a lot about London by following your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jackie - and thank you so much for the Logo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for showing an interest - please feel free to comment on my unofficial tour of the tube stations